project 555 nova

Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Saturn, Geo, Holden, Vauxhall, etc.
gump
MegaSquirt Newbie

project 555 nova

Post by gump »

gump
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: project 555 nova

Post by gump »

So here is my project thus far.555 bbc merlin block and fully ported heads hyd roller cam.Tremec tko600 5 speed and 4.10 gears.I broke in the motor with an hp1000 holley and set timing.I have owned the car since I was 15[23 years] and it has seen 24 different engine combinations.This is the third injection system.The first was a hilborn mechanical on a 377 stroker.The second was an analog holley projection and now this.I have most of the wiring done and have calibrated the sensors with the laptop so I am close to firing it up. :yeah!:P.S. The alternator is getting swapped out for a cs130.
gump
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by gump »

Well she cranked over a couple times and fired right up tonite. :D Idles at 1050 rpm 12.5 afr.Everything seems rock steady.Now I am ready to start tuning.Stay "tuned".
gump
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by gump »

Started tuning tonite.Created my own VE table from scratch.Brought my wife along first to write down numbers for me as I went thru the gears,made my adjustments and went back out with my 14 year old.Had to make an extra run with him cause he was pinned against the seat and dropped the pen :D {I know you can datalog this is just the way I did it and it worked out pretty good]I made short runs in 3rd and 4th gear to avoid breaking the tires loose and kept it under the speed limit.Needs more tuning but its already better than any carb I have ever had on it.What a torque monster.Will try to make a video for youtube and post link here.
gump
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by gump »

Just an update on my car.Still occasionally runs very rich until you shut it off for a few seconds and restart it then it is fine??? Going to schedule a dyno session in spring when weather warms up and I replace my clutch :( as the ram hd powergrip is not near enough clutch for this combo.I will try the mcleod rst dual disc.
ratblock
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by ratblock »

You have very nice set up there.My vette have similar things going on.Got merlin 540,edelbrock reg.port alum.heads.
MS-1,only control fuel at the moment.Its already running so far fine but still lot of tuning..Have mech.cam+mechanic fuel pump
from race pumps co.Interest to hear what kind base fuel map you use,because I have some difficulties to get started when engine is hot.My project is on"ice" because in the area where I"ll live have hard winter now ,northern europe .
Would be nice to see your dyno result...
ratblock
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by ratblock »

Hood clearance was an issue,so I made new one.
gump
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by gump »

Yeah,I know what you mean.Its -7 below here in Wisconsin and I am gettin antsy to get the cars out.When I do though,I will get you the maps I used.Iknow what yo mean about hood clearance,my intake pipes rubbed on the hood so I put a couple large washers under frame bushings and took care of it.You have a nice set up there,keep me informed on your tuning efforts.
ratblock
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by ratblock »

Just Saturday visited in my garage and temperature was -20C,I think -7F?Jep,have some fuel heaters there...no I dont mean that 540 and LT-1 :D Outside is too much snow to drive my other vette out.And its too tight to built nothing.Also give promise
to my family keep some rest of..you know.But to see where I remain in autumn its make me alive again.Owned almost 10 years my -75 vet, this is first efi built up for me.It has 350 and 4-speed with minor changes.3 years ago then 350 was loosing the power(actual never feel any) I decide to but my already diy MS to my car.When opened that old short block I was thinking its waste of time,so I let it.I was impressed that torque and 4 gears seems to be too less! I keep you inform when race is on here in Finland. :yeah!:
Last edited by ratblock on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
nos
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by nos »

veriy good : :mrgreen: :evil: :twisted: :mrgreen: