Twin Turbo Corvair with TBI

Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Saturn, Geo, Holden, Vauxhall, etc.
tcarpenter64111
MegaSquirt Newbie

Twin Turbo Corvair with TBI

Post by tcarpenter64111 »

Well I did it! I have it running that is. I took a 66 Corvair Convertible and started modifying it, the twin turbo's came of of an Audi TT which is also a 2.7L engine so they were just the right size. Then I fabricated the intake to use the typical GM V6 TBI unit. and then used the Megasquirt ECU with the relay board.

Why I'm so excited is because I know only the basics of electrical wiring and nothing about fuel injection! I just got a wild hair one day to do all this to my car which ran just fine they way it was.

I'm still in the beginning phase of the car running. It idles a little high and a little rich. I only have a narrow band EGO unit in right now so I'm going to change that to a wide band. And I don't know the condition of the IAC valve so I'm going to get a new one of those.

I have to read some more on how to tune it better and how to adjust the fuel tables. The challenge here is remembering what I read long enough to make the changes so it's, Read and go! About 4 years ago I had a stroke that affected my memory center and I was told I would never be able to learn something new! Ha,,,so far I think I'm learning and doing just fine. It may take me another 2 years to get it to the track for a time run, but who's counting right?

I couldn't get pic small enough to post here but I will gladly send them to anyone who might want to see the set up.
kjones6039
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Twin Turbo Corvair with TBI

Post by kjones6039 »

Well, I must say that I am impressed! Looks to me like a good challenge might be just the right medicine. :yeah!:

Good luck to you young man!!!! (I can say that because I am probably one of the oldest guys here...)

I had a couple of Corvair's back in the 60's (a 60 4door and a 64 Monza)... Told you I was old.... :lol:

Just curious... was your Corvair originally a Spyder?

I would love to see some pics of your car and setup!

kenscars <at> kandlservices.com

Ken
383 CID SBC changing from HEI to EDIS-8
Holley 900 CFM TBI w/ 85 lb injectors and Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/ 2.89 B&G
tcarpenter64111
MegaSquirt Newbie

Thanks Ken the pics are on the way. It was originally a Monza 110HP
tcarpenter64111
MegaSquirt Newbie

Here is my youtube video of it running on megasquirt! So EXCITING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2yj95MkLGA

Hope this work for everyone.

Thanks again for looking at it
Tom
tcarpenter64111
MegaSquirt Newbie

Hopfully this link will take you to 3 Videos I did of my setup.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tcarpenter6 ... ature=mhee
jharrington
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by jharrington »

this is great, I am building a corvair engine for use on an of road vehicle and I wanted to put a TBI on it with a megasquirt ecu. Since I'm a newbie to this forum it wouldn't let me send a personal message to you. but I was hoping to find out what your settings are so i will have a good starting point.
JBillingsley
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by JBillingsley »

Hey Thomas!
I hope you are still on here. Congrats on your successful implementation of Megasquirt on your Corvair. I am looking for information to ease my project on another Corvair. Can you tell me which version of MS you used and could you possibly send me some baseline parameters to load into the program?
I have a 140 which I am putting 4 GSXR600 throttle bodies on for the first phase and if it works well, I will add ignition control and then will change heads and run direct injection with 6 TB's..

All help will be greatly appreciated at this very early stage..

Cheers,

Johnny B.
tcarpenter64111
MegaSquirt Newbie

Hi Johnny B,
It's been 2 years since I've even been able to work on my corvair :( So I cannot give you much info.
I welcome you to look at my videos on youtube. I used the megasquirt II and once you put in all the information that the computer wants (# of cyl) etc. it will make your car run perfect right out of the box. I am very happy with their product.
JBillingsley
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by JBillingsley »

Thanks for the reply Thomas...

Do you remember if you input that the corvair flat 6 is an even fire engine or an odd fire? I think I have the rest of it figured out except for maybe some of the sensors..

Cheers,

Johnny B.
tcarpenter64111
MegaSquirt Newbie

I used even fire I believe.