390 1964 Ford Galaxie 500

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
UNTAMND
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 390 1964 Ford Galaxie 500

Post by UNTAMND »

64 Ford wrote:As promised pics of the 4.6l thottle body & the next step, a 460 gooseneck with a 32V Lincoln Throtlle body.
You are a smart fella, both of those tb pics are awesome, I never thought about using the 4.6 mustang tb AND elbow. I also had read that the dual plate tb from the cobra would fit the 460 intake elbow, and now you proved it....guess what my 95 460 powered F250s getting now!!
The crank trigger looks fine to me it dont hang any lower then the oilpan so whats the problem...nothing in my mind. Cant argue with results, unless they are bad. Now im really thinking about ms on my 67 Mustang, but ill probly use dual tb on a medium riser dual quad, using the 4.6 mustang tb and elbows, I have 2 friends who just upgraded both of theirs, free go fast parts are always welcome to me, lol.

Keep at it, your doing AWESOME.
94 GT 5spd Custom Built TWIN Turbo System and MS
67 Mustang Fastback 390 c6 dual quad
You know the "RED" area of the tach???....Thats called..."The FUN ZONE"
whitedevil666
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by whitedevil666 »

how'd you mount the 36-1 wheel to the balancer?
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

390 trigger wheel mounting

Post by 64 Ford »

whitedevil666,
This is one where a few pics are worth a thousand words of how I drilled the 36-1 wheel & got it centered. The short version of how I mounted it is I used 3 standoffs/bolt extensions from the local hardware store. How I came up with this is just surfing the internet to see how other people had mounted it. I used the three pulley mounting bolts from the front to mount the standoffs, then three smaller bolts to bolt the 36-1 wheel to them. I also spot faced the bolt hole openings on the back of the 390 dampener since it is cast iron and used a rubber faced washer to make up any differences. I then checked it with a machinist square before putting it back on the car. I then started the car & checked it with my timing light to make sure there wasn't any wobble. I'll try and get some pics of my "spare" set-up to show I centered & drilled the trigger wheel.
64 Ford
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 64 Ford »

Latest update is installed Just Another Wideband (JAW) controller and redoing my timing table using the "Making a Spark Advance Table" and a handheld calculator (http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/configure.htm) . Huge difference in how it runs. It idles at 800 rpm and 16" of vacuum. I had it running so lean with the NB it was reading rich; its a wonder it ran at all plus the MPG was horrific. In a couple of weeks I will try and use the Ford MAF I have to tweak it some more. :yeah!:
64 Ford
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 64 Ford »

Just a FYI here is my latest .msq compared to my first one back in Apr big changes in VE using a WB and the timing map.

64 Ford
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
64 Ford
62 f100
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 62 f100 »

looking good !ive been play with jaw (both releases),get a old computer up to speed&havent yet installed ms 1 i got.so its good to see the progress ur making.keep it up &hope to post my success this winter.(if can call what we have in CA winter)
65looter
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 65looter »

Thanks 64 Ford for updating this post :)
I'll be using your .msq as a base for my 342 ;)
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 64 Ford »

65looter,
Hopefully it helps. I haven't messed with mine in about a month due to Tropical Storms, work, and helping bolllox with his MS. The only thing I've mananged to do lately is fry my JAW; but I do have the parts to fix it. I still want to finish putting on my 460 gooseneck w/larger TB and figuring out the mass air. The next upgrade is putting in a 32V 4.6 from a Lincoln.
64 Ford
mtb_medic
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by mtb_medic »

thanks all this has been great reading. I have a 1964 galaxie wagon I am planning on installing a twin turbo 4.6l DOHC from a mark 8. it looks like it will all fit if I put the battery elsewhere. I am hoping to make 550 hp at the wheels. I ordered the ms2 today and the car is going to paint in 2 weeks so the motor goes in in feb. Ill be collecting parts until then. I really like the way msinnis converted his mustang. I will be going with a mustang t45 5 speed trans and a irs out of the mark8. I will start a link when I get it going.

hey 64 ford if you have started this swap I would like to hear about it.
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 64 Ford »

mtb_medic ,
My 32V is still sitting on the engine stand and haven't done a whole lot with it yet. I've started gathering parts and pieces from the "local" (60 miles away in Orlando or 70 miles to Daytona) pick n pulls. I procured a front sump oil pan from a FWD lincoln for $17.00 which included the oil pick up. I got the new mounting stud from the Ford dealer and that's about it. I was planning on using 99-03 Mustang motor mounts and Mach I exahust manifolds. But the next 2 projects are to put disc brakes on the front from a 77 T-bid ($58 for both sides at the 50% sale at the pnp) and start coating it from the inside out with Por 15, living next to the beach will eat your car. Still haven't decided on a trans yet; would love to go with a $r70W trans and use the MS trans controller if the guys can get the Ford codes working.

In my car I mounted the MS in the glove box on a backplane with my own relay box and junction block. I ran the harness to the engine between the heater box and passenger vent. Very tight but it come out down below the hood hinge out of sight. The EDIS module is on the firewall and then I just made the harness merge there. I'm using a frame mounted E-250 fuel pump since it comes with a cage and was easy to mount.

Look at my earlier posts for starting out with you MS; you'll have a fast learning curve. Take your time & read the manual, a lot.
64 Ford