1998 Mustang GT 4.6

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
lordgufi
MegaSquirt Newbie

1998 Mustang GT 4.6

Post by lordgufi »

Took a weekend and my crappy soldering skill but it all worked out

DIY autotune prebuilt ms2 v3.0 board, no mods
built my own db37 cable using the supplied solder cup POS! ( soldering 14 and 16 ga wire to those SUCK )

Shortened my Intake pipe by another 8 inches by removing the Maf, friends now ask me what is missing.

Cars mods before MS: Hitech Stage two NA cams, PI head swap, PI intake, 2.5 inch off road H pipe, Flow master mufflers, Cheap Ebay intake pipe, 3.73's, Solid upper double adjustable control arms with solid spherical bushings, removed rear and front sway bars.

Before 3.73's and MS cars fastest 1/8th mile time was 8.72 @ 81

Just got it running this weekend but without further blabbing here are a few crappy pics of the install

The ECU connector you see me soldering my wires to were from a dead ecu a friend had ( also doing a MS install in his car but will be using the actual wires )

ECU is still currently not mounted as I didn't leave my self much room but i'll figure that out next weekend. untill then its zip tied to the carpet ( no passenger seat )

also need to tape up the wires and make an actual loom out of it. and lengthen the red wire running across from the LC1 power wire( also short ). all in all however. car idles and runs great

And finally the first start vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkijdNek6xI
frank1380
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1998 Mustang GT 4.6

Post by frank1380 »

Reading through the article at DIYAutotune for running Megasquirt on a 4.6 was discouraging for me. It looks like you need to run a piggyback setup to keep some functions that Ford decided to integrate into it. It looks like you were successful and even tapped into the factory harness. I'd be interested in knowing more of the details if you're willing to share, regarding the stock ECU tie-in. I'm in the planning stages of a turbo'd 4.6L and your work is impressive.
frank1380
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1998 Mustang GT 4.6

Post by frank1380 »

Nevermind I'm an "misinformed person". I still think you did a nice job on this. I need to keep the stock ECU to control my automatic transmission.