1966 F100 360FE

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
jet471
MegaSquirt Newbie

1966 F100 360FE

Post by jet471 »

MS1 V3 board, currently running B&G MS1 code. Fuel only
19 lb fox body mustang injectors
Dual plane Fomoco Aluminum 390 4 barrel intake fitted with bosses and fuel rails
Mid 90's Ford F150 upper intake and throttle body
Early 90's Volvo inline bosch fuel pump and filter
280z fuel pressure regulator
Gm temp sensors
aem uego wideband o2

2 days running and am very pleased

Next modifications will most likely be a surge tank(the large truck tank sucks air on hard corners with low fuel) and Extra code(I would like to use the larger ve table and be able to use a target afr table)

Advice: Make sure you are installing the right components in the right spots when building the ms(desoldering sucks)
If the vehicle has a hard time cranking, misses or backfires, make sure your timing is correct :oops:
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 1966 F100 360FE

Post by 64 Ford »

Awesome! Another Ford FE on Megasquirt!
64 Ford
jet471
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by jet471 »

Thanks, 64 Ford, for pioneering the way.

You're success and finding the injected manifold on ebay was all the motivation I needed.

Man an FE has some sweet power!
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 64 Ford »

Any updates or progress?
64 Ford
jet471
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by jet471 »

64 Ford,

I've been using it for the last 2 weeks while working on my baby mobiles transmission. I haven't tuned in a while, but will get back to it soon.

I used autotune at first and got it pretty good and now let the o2 target 14.7.

I have one problem and it occurs if I get in the throttle quickly from idle. It has a slight hesitation when the butterflies first open and shows a little lean for a second, but then takes off and everything looks good.

It seems like the fuel is not quite fast enough for the quick burst of air. Have you ever encountered this problem?

I'm tempted to try the smaller throttle body off the 4.9, or even try alpha n, just haven't had the time yet.

I'm about to change throttle cables and flip the tb rightside up. My stock cable barely reaches and results in a tight pedal.
This should give me more adjustment and may help with the problem.

If you have any suggestions they would be appreciated. How is your car running?
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 64 Ford »

jet 471,
I haven't had a lot of time lately to play with the tune, work has kept me very busy. The only thing I have noticed is if it sits for a week or two, it runs like crap unless I ad a gallon of "fresh" gas to it. I think its the 10% ethanal they ad here in FL to it--either it sucks up moisture or evaporates. But the worse thing is living by the ocean is the salt is eating my car faster than I can deal with it. So I may end up getting rid of it & transfer the MS to something else.
64 Ford
jet471
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by jet471 »

64 Ford,

My truck wouldn't survive the coast either. I haven't noticed the gas problem in the truck (it uses so much I don't generally have any in the tank). I did have to replace a weedeater carb a few weeks ago though.

I drove the truck this weekend with the laptop hooked up, I noticed my tps doesn't show any percentage until it has opened a little, I believe this might be my lean problem off the start. I will be working on that.

I also just recently loomed all the wiring neatly and am now having a reset problem every now and then. I'm hoping it is a noise problem, I will have to start unwrappping the wires and see if it goes away. I'm going to run an autolog and see what is happening when it resets.

I've been meaning to post some pics, I'll try to do that this week.
64 Ford
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by 64 Ford »

jet471,
This is a subject of debate w/electrical engineers where I work, but here is how I corrected some of the resets I had. When I did my install of course I rushed it and combined all the grounds just to get it running. It ran but it would hiccup and looking at the data log there would be spikes every now an then. I should have known better because a ground is not always a ground; for example many new buildings have a lighting protect ground, a power ground, and a separate ground for computer systems. They are separted on purpose becuase for example a lighting strike does wonders to fry the whole system if tied together. So I went back in the archives (search for the grounding video from one of the Megameets) and made a dedicated ground for power straight to the battery, a signal ground (TPS/Temp/Coolant) all grounded to the back plane I have my MS on. The O2 sensosrs have a dedicated ground to the car body as does the WB sensor. It really helped "clean" up and eliminate the hiccups.
64 Ford
jet471
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by jet471 »

64Ford,

I grounded most everything to a battery ground to get it going as well. I never had a reset until I loomed everything together, but I may have switched how the tps was grounded at that time. When I get an opportunity I will take your advice and try to ground everything properly.