bertelli_1
MegaSquirt Newbie

Ant's NEW Mk2 Golf Gti - now with 20 valve turbo 1.8t

Post by bertelli_1 »

Name: Ant Shearer, http://www.conrod.co.uk

Vehicle: 1990 Vw Golf Gti

Engine: 1800cc k03 sport turbo

Injection: stock 20 valve

Description:Now that I need a 'sensible family car' I sold the 3 door and bought a 5 door, managed to find a really clean, original car with FSH and just 2 owners from new. It didn't stay original for long....
It has Koni adjustable suspension, bigger 16v brakes, full leather and G60 wheels. Oh, and a 20 valve turbo engine from a Mk4 Golf (engine code AGU). It is running msns-e, wasted spark, VR sensor. I only finished fitting the engine a couple of days ago so I still have a lot of tuning to do. First impressions are very good, even on my modified 8v maps. The torque comes in very strong - too strong for my clutch which is the next thing on the 'to do' list.

The build is comprehensively covered on my website, plus there's lots of stuff on cherished number plates if you are that way inclined. Enjoy.

Last edited by bertelli_1 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'squirted & turbo'd Mk2 Golf
bertelli_1
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by bertelli_1 »

All the 8v info is still posted on my website.
bertelli_1
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by bertelli_1 »

I've now covered over 10,000 miles in the car and it has been brilliant! Upgraded to a Mk3 golf gearbox, clutch and flywheel & wound the boost up to 13psi, around 210bhp. Also upgraded the brakes to G60 items around this time.
But with the recent fuel price increase in the UK I switched to 95RON fuel to save cash & had pinking issues at peak torque even with just 3 degrees of advance. So the boost has come down & it works well at 9psi although not quite as much fun. Next on the list is probably a bigger turbo to get nearer the 250bhp mark.
bertelli_1
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: Ant's NEW Mk2 Golf Gti - now with 20 valve turbo 1.8t

Post by bertelli_1 »

UPDATE 11/08

The car now has a hydraulic clutch system fitted from a Corrado. It ran like this for a long time (until I got used to the power!). I have more recently fitted a k03s turbo which has really livened it up. Dyno result below:

Better boost control should see power rise to c.220bhp which is plenty!
hsbr
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by hsbr »

Are you using original 1.8t clt and mat sensors?

im using the stock ones aswell but they both read too high it seems like. i'm using the resistance guides given by the bentley to create my s19 file.
bertelli_1
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by bertelli_1 »

I'm using the 1.8t iat sensor, along with easytherm. The coolant sensor is a mk2 golf item fitted with a 'sperm' of the correct resistance for ms. I've had no temperature related issues.

The car has been fitted with an Apexi boost controller recently, it now officially rocks! I've decided the power is now adequate (201bhp & 240ft/lb) & will be concentrating on other aspects of the car in the near future, such as bodywork.
AWP 1.8T Corrado
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by AWP 1.8T Corrado »

Hey Ant, sent you a pm. I really like your website dedicated to your swap. It is very similar to mine, but I've been running into issues getting this tuned to optimal performence. I'm expecting to keep boost around 16 lbs to where the turbocharger would be the most efficient. Even though I have a bar and plate pretty big FMIC.

I had a lot of fun with my car even at low boost even though i was getting a lot of ping and hesitation at higher boost levels, I had it really put some power down on the street but it was very inconsistant and possibly dangerous for the motor with slight audible pining even anything about 9 psi. But from your website and hopefully once I get in better communication with you through email i'll be up to snuff. Really appreciate the info on your website for just a good base spark and fuel map. but some of my settings are different so i want to talk to you first before i raise up the boost :-)
bertelli_1
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by bertelli_1 »

Glad to be of help! The problem with these projects is they never seem quite finished, but the 20v engine in an early chassis really makes a great weapon!