{Miniman82}1958 VW Beetle-Air cooled 1915 Turbo

miniman82
MegaSquirt Newbie

{Miniman82}1958 VW Beetle-Air cooled 1915 Turbo

Post by miniman82 »

After much wire routing and knuckle busting, I am proud to say that my 1915 turbo project is now a success! I started almost 2 years ago, but multiple deployments pushed the first start back quite a ways. At this point I have only just gotten the engine fired for the first time, and done cam break in. Follow the thread for more updates as they become available, msq's will naturally be posted here. 8)

BTW, I'm running MS v2.2, MS n S extra code, EDIS, and multipoint injection, with common plenum and single TB.

Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... c&start=00
My only problem is that I can't decide what car to buy next!
miniman82
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by miniman82 »

I'm working on getting the oil cooler and sandwich plate thermostat installed at the mo, so I can actually drive the thing. :?
Just today I was messing around with some of the settings, and found that TPSdot was twice the value it needed to rev properly....I think it was set at 1.0-15ms, so I back it down to .1-8ms, and it now revs cleanly, without smoke. :D

I do confess I took it for a quick spin around the block this afternoon, and it feels pretty good. Obviously, it's gonna take some time with the wideband and AFR taget tables to get it where I want it, but I'm very pleased overall by how the system works.

Thank you Bruce and Al!!!! :D :D :D
Also, big thanks to Glen's Garage, you guys rule!!!
miniman82
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by miniman82 »

Got it tuned so I can drive it pretty well now, it cruises at 17:1 AFR, but under boost it's still pretty rich at 12:1. Got some more tuning to do, but all in all I'm pretty happy with the way it's running.
Loaded my MSQ so people can use it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
miniman82
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: {Miniman82}1958 VW Beetle-Air cooled 1915 Turbo

Post by miniman82 »

Here's a more current MSQ. I've got it mapped up to around 10 PSI boost, and it's running much better at first startup now due to the warmup changes I've made. As soon as I get the racing harnesses, roll bar, and water injection installed, it's time to get really serious with it. 18 PSI here I come!!!:twisted:
Also, I noticed IAT never really gets past around 160*, anyone ever get really high IAT's?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
miniman82
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by miniman82 »

Not sure how different this one is from the last one, but here's what I've got now.
H22
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by H22 »

Very nicely done and quite impressive considering your total budget! I just read through your whole build over at thesamba, makes me want to buy a bug ( I've wanted to do a turbo bug since high school, that was eons ago....).
I saw the dyno chart and the post about the high air temps, makes me wonder how much fresh air your getting through your intercooler on the dyno-vs.-regular driving.

If you get the air to water set up in there, and add the water/meth inj, you will drastically drop the temps and gain a bunch of power even at the same boost. A 12 second sleeper bug is something most folks woulnd even see coming. I have done 6 or 7 MS installs, loved every one of them, but only one was a turbo *sigh* and it was for a freind who was turboing some other guys car, never got the time to tune it perfect, and i think i was having lowZ injector resets every once and awhile, so i was left dissapointed that the owner refused to leave it long evough for me to get it sorted out. other than that the MS ran great, it was a 2006 mazda3. first gear was useless @ 10 psi. but man did it pull in second!

Anyway, seing your build has re lit an old fire, Bugs are so easy to work on and cheep compaired to other cars (plus the rear engine!!), I think its the ultimate sleeper, Never even thought of mounting the turbo behind the rear seat, sickly sneeky man!

Please keep posting picks and stats.

Joe
miniman82
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by miniman82 »

Thanks man, I will be doing many upgrades to it as sson as it warms up a little more. Just recently I did some more work on the warmup tables, and got it to start well from stone cold. I also cured an issue where it wouldn't hot restart: turns out you need at least as much cranking fuel millisecond-wise as the engine requires when it's actually running. No sh!t, right? :RTFM: Anyway, the big revelation for me recently has been relocating the temp sensor to the head. I drilled and tapped a 3/8" NPT spot for the engine temp right into the bottom of the 3/4 side head, and now warmup is dead nuts and it comes out of warmup mode like it's supposed to. I don't know whay it took me so long to do this, guess I'm just lazy. :mrgreen:

Here's my most recent running MSQ.