Toyota, Lexus.
PSmurf78
MegaSquirt Newbie

Drew Hanft, 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS Turbo

Post by PSmurf78 »

Name: Drew Hanft

Vehicle: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS

Engine: 1.6L I4 16V DOHC.

Large port 4AGE head, ported exhaust, 5 angle valve job, Web 252 cams, decked 0.040”, TRD valve springs, Fidanza cam gears, Cometic MLS head gasket, ARP studs/bolts throughout.

Late model GZE Block, line bored out to 82mm, Arias 8.5:1(stock) forged aluminum pistons, polished crank, o-ringed block, balanced rotating assembly, oil squirters, worked over conrods, extra oil passages added for main bearings

Injection: Port injection, 440CC supra injectors, Walbro 255L/h pump, 1:1 FPR

Description: This car was designed to compete in the local SCCA Street Modified category. The car has an original TRD N2 wide body kit, along with a number of other TRD pieces.

The rear end has been replaced with a 79 Toyota Supra rear, which had a larger R&P gear (6.7” vs 7.5”). I’m also looking to replace the transmission with a mid 80’s Supra tranny, once I locate the correct bell housing.

I’m using MSII, with EDIS. Currently, I’ve got about 3.5 hours of dyno time, 320 miles on the engine. Current specs are 190hp/145ftlbs @5psi. Those numbers are from a mustang dyno. The eventual goal is to see over 300 at the rear wheels.

Btw, the turbo is a T3/T4 hybrid, like a super 60 series.

Suspension wise, the car is running TRD Japan race coils with Tokiko HTS SS shocks, along with Tien Camber plates, T3 NRCAs, Whiteline lateral bar, TRD bushings, etc…

Website: http://4agte.blogspot.com – This is the log I kept about the build of this engine and car.
PSmurf78
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by PSmurf78 »

I was asked some questions about my setup and posting maps and such. My tuning still has a ways to go. I've only had 3.5 hours of dyno time so far. I figure I'll need between 12 and 15 to get where I really want it to be.

Anyways, here's some additional observations about my setup.

Right now, the main area that's tuned is idle (600-1400 RPM, 40-80kpa) and power runs (3000-7500 RPM, 90-135KPA). That's also mainly just fuel tuning too. My ignition is currently set to 20 degrees from 3K up, so I know there's more to be gained.

I've got a good 12.5:1 ratio from 3200 up until about 7K then it gets fat again, running down to ~12:1, maybe even 11.8:1

I'm currently working on redoing my downpipe and intake setup. Going to a 3" downpipe and exhaust, and a larger cone filter. I actually started to collapse the first air filter. :shock:

So lots more tweaking and tuning. I've been keeping notes of each run and what I need to modify change, and I'll post updates as I go along.