1987 Corolla GT with Silvertop 20v

Toyota, Lexus.
feck
MegaSquirt Newbie

1987 Corolla GT with Silvertop 20v

Post by feck »

1987 GT Corolla rally car running Silvertop 20v 4age
MSNS-e v029t running on V3 board.

Currently running 12-1 CAS in the dizzy (2 teeth ground off 24 tooth wheel) Getting tach glitches and suspect it has to do with the wheel decoder firmware. Looking at changing to simple 4 tooth wheel and using the standard distributor code. (Please PM me if your 12-1 wheel decoder setup is running perfectly - that might encourage me to persevere)

Car starts and runs very well otherwise. Well worth the effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
feck
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by feck »

Went racing last weekend and was very impressed. Still require a few tweaks in the tune, but it pulls very hard right through to 8k rpm. Very tempted to increase the rev limit.
Thought I was being a bit game competing with the odd tach drop out at cruise, but didn't notice any at all through the course, and the engine still appears fine.

Overall very happy with the Megasquirt.
feck
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by feck »

Though this picture might be of help to others. The wire colors are mostly the standard Toyota colors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
feck
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by feck »

Have just retro fitted the hall effect sensor from a Mitsi 4g63 crank angle sensor into the toyota dizzy. Also changed the tach input to opto in - very happy with the result. Now the car runs through the rev range without any missing and starts very easily. :D

Have also got the waste spark coils and coil drivers from the mitsi motor so plan to fit them in the next month or so.
feck
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by feck »

A copy of my current msq incase someone finds it of use. I had used a copy of someone elses originally.

Because this car spend 90% of its life at full or no throttle I don't really think I need so many rows between 90 and 100kpa as it jumps around between them a bit at full throttle so I prefer to have them all the same anyway.
Last edited by feck on Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AE86Taylor
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by AE86Taylor »

Can I get more info about the hall setup you used. I've been trying to get my car running for about a year, and I'd really like to try the setup you used so that I can get a clean signal instead of the dirty signal from the 12-1 setup.

Thanks

Taylor
feck
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by feck »

This is a pm I sent to another MS'er wanting to know how I had done it. Hope it helps.
Sorry for the delay. Been a while I know.

I got a cam angle sensor from a Mitsubishi RVR with the 4g63 motor in it. It is basically very similar to a dizzy, just without the rotor etc.

I just wrote a long paragraph and realised how hard it was to read so have tried breaking it into points.

- Remove the sensor base and shutter wheels from the misti CAS
- File out the centre hole on the shutter wheels so they slip on the Toyota dizzy shaft (already removed from the dizzy).
- Put the toyota dizzy shaft in the lathe and parted off the bottom, single tooth part of the trigger wheel.
- Hack the toyota dizzy housing so the mitsi sensor base fits with the plug at a suitable place. Drill and tap mounting holes in the base of the housing. A spacer is needed to hold the sensor base at the right height. Will require a bit of measuring and getting right.
- I dummy fitted the dizzy with the engine at 60deg BTDC #1 and marked the angle I wanted the shutter wheels to sit.
- Pull it all apart again and brazed the shutter wheels to the toyota dizzy shaft/trigger wheel
- Put it all back together, wire it up, change MS settings, start it up and set timing.

Easy as that. I haven't got any photos but might remember to take some when it comes out next (if ever).

Cheers
Daniel
AE86Taylor
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by AE86Taylor »

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take my dizzy apart and look at it to get a better idea of what you did, but this sounds like a much cleaner setup than the EDIS setup.

Thanks

Taylor
katok
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by katok »

Im also very interested in fitting Mitsu CAS to my 4age engine.

Could post some pictures please ??

thanks
katok
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by katok »

i will be fitting 4/2 cas from 4g63 mitsu in an 4age 16v dizzy.

and used this 4/2 cas to run wasted spark or COP