96 Rav4 with Toyota 3sfe

Toyota, Lexus.
Jamesl
MegaSquirt Newbie

96 Rav4 with Toyota 3sfe

Post by Jamesl »

I have successfully 'squirted a 1996 Toyota Rav4 using the completely stock ignition system and a DIYPNP kit from DIYAutotune. I didn't have to change any of the stock wiring, the MS unit plugs into the existing harness and the only change under the hood was to disconnect the vacuum hose running to the stock MAP sensor and run a hose to the MAP sensor built into the MegaSquirt unit.

The key to making MS work on the RAV4 was figuring out the ignition system and idle control. My '96 model has a distributor with a cam angle sensor built in and a crank angle VR sensor that monitors a 36-2 trigger wheel mounted on the crankshaft. In the end, I ignored the cam sensor and just used the signal from the crank sensor. Once I figured out the right settings, the car fired on the first try.

To make the idle work, I had to build an add-on splitter circuit and set up the software for PWM Closed Loop operation. It idles fine throughout warmup and in stop-n-go traffic.

You can read a "how to" article on the project, including some screenshots, here: "How To" article
'01 VW GTI -- fun daily driver!
'96 Rav4 -- just squirted! "How To" article
'87 MR2 -- Squirted in '95 and still going strong! (but in someone elses garage...) Success Story
campos
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: 96 Rav4 with Toyota 3sfe

Post by campos »

i hope i can use your info to megasquirt my 1993 toyota mr-2 with a 5sfe engine.

i will be pm'ing you shortly