This Lancia is my daily driver - funny , but I never intended to use this car as testing platform for Megasquirt because I have another project car for such things ( see my website for more info
) ...but when Bosch Motronic died suddenly and left me uphill on 2 cyl , I was totally pissed and decided to remove complete Motronic instalation and install Megasquirt as soon as possible...
So, complete instalation together with MS ECU that I planned to install in my Yugo (project car) went into Lancia - whole process took only 3 days, mostly because I have everything very well prepared.
For now MS controls only fuel, soon I'll try to use std 60-2 wheel with MSnS-extra code and double coils.
I removed single-point manifold together with all sensors and everything, and test fitted new MPI manifold from Punto Sporting (1.6).
That manifold is direct fit on head (Punto & Lancia SOHC blocks are basically the same) , but I was afraid that servo pump on the left would hit one side of the manifold.
Luckily, it didn't, although clearence is almost non-existant...
I welded some 8mm barbed fittings to connect fuel inlet & outlet to MPI fuel rail - hmmm, I must admit that I'm no pro welder but have great confidence in my welding skills - nobody wants gasoline fire under hood because of poor weld joints ...
After that tricky part, another big obstacle came out - I was hopping that coolant sensor was mounted somewhere on the block or thermostat housing, but unfortunately it was mounted inside original single-point TB unit
Nevermind that, I weld two steel pipes from some old water pumps, and welded one M12 nut in the middle - that nut will serve for coolant sensor mounting.
I put that freshly welded custom "T" piece between top coolant pipe and coolant radiator.
Second problem was air temperature sensor - it also was originaly mounted in single-point TB, but fortunately I found some intake plastic pipe with nut already mounted in the middle from some "Alfa-Romeo" EFI engine - thread was perfect and I just connected that pipe with some 90Â° rubber bend and some hose clamps...
Before connecting relays and fuses, stupid problem came out : I lost somewhere little plastic "thing" that connects TPS with throttle shaft - aaargggghhhh !!!!
But with some imagination and much more improvisation (using electric drill as lathe machine, for example:D ) I made new piece that fit almost perfectly.
After all sensors were mounted, and fuel hoses were conected - I temporarily powered fuel pump relay to see if everything is OK with fuel pressure - gauge shoved around 3 bar - and stayed like that for some time - it seems that fuel system works correctly and doesn't leak anywhere, neither on injector O-rings or freshly welded connections - great news !!
Mechanical part was finished - now only electrical part left.
I must mention that I used IAW Weber Marrelli harness (with 35 pin connector) together with MS v2.2 board that I placed & tested in IAW aluminium housing almost one year ago (!)
IAW housing is of course also with same 35 pin connector...adavantages of this combo obvious (to me at least):
1. all sensors & injectors on my engine are Bosch type (except TPS) so every connector on harness fits IAW harness perfectly...
2. IAW harness is very solidly built - with good joints and connectors, and is realtively simple to modify it for MS,
3. IAW ECU housing is perfect fit for MS v2.2 board - it has plenty of space, enough cooling area for mounting output transistor, monitoring LEDs can be mounted on front panel together with DB9 port,
4. complete IAW efi systems can be easily found on almost any junkyard in Italy and are very cheap,
But to cut a long story, I mounted MS box firmly inside engine compartment, to the right side (to minimize heat soak from engine), connect harness and lenghten some wires to few sensors.
Then I found original fuel & ecu relays and identify pins with my DMM - I wanted that relays & fuses stayed intact in their positions - I just connected wires from them to MS.
I turned on ignition key, and fuel pumped buzzed then stoped - MS seems to have +12V supply.
Now only ignition left - I didn't have time to make VR conditioning circuit to use 60-2 OEM wheel & double coil for ignition - so I temporarily mounted std dizzy with VR sensor and one coil from some Fiat.
I put engine in so 1# cyl is in TDC, set dizzy properly and engine fired up without problems
My daily driver is finaly Megasquirted - yes !!!!