Daniel, 1975 Rabbit, updated with video

diygti
MegaSquirt Newbie

Daniel, 1975 Rabbit, updated with video

Post by diygti »

Name: Daniel

Vehicle: 1975 Rabbit

Engine: stock 1.8 from a 83 GTI with TT header and exhaust.

Injection: Been struggling with putting the Digifant rail and EFI injectors into the 83 GTI head (required fabrication).

Description: I have finally heard it rumble to life under the power of MS!

It now revs much nicer without the lame CIS setup in the way. My
engine compartment looks much cleaner. Been struggling with putting the Digifant rail and EFI injectors into the 83 GTI head (required fabrication) but I finally succeeded in making it work. Haven't driven it yet but from the sound of it I am expecting a big improvement.

All of the parts used to convert from Bosch CIS mechanical injection over to megasquirt totalled about $250 using mostly junkyard parts. It was fun to see how little money I could perform this project for.

It uses a stock CIS fuel pump, volvo injectors, a fuel rail from a later 8v, gm sensors, and a ford tps adapted to a bigger VW throttle body (although a 16v automatic passat would have one with a TPS already built-in and bolts right on).

It runs very well on the rough map that was calculated for the engine and I haven't done much tuning to it yet.

I always get compliments on the way it sounds now without the CIS air sensor/air filter box. I plan on putting individual throttle bodies on it next.

It won the competitive FSP autocross class two weeks ago in the San Francisco region of the SCCA. It was its first time out.

The car is a 1975, which is very rare. It has the original paint and many original one year only parts like the chrome trim, door handles, and side mirror.

I bought a wrecked 1983 rabbit gti autocross car and transplanted the engine, techtonics exhaust, koni/ground control coilovers, camber plates, tie and sway bars and close ratio transmission with quaiffe limited slip differential.

It handles very well, right on the verge of being too stiff for street use. At the last autocross I drove it about an hour to get to the last autocross, and it beat another FSP car that came in on a trailer!

Did I mention that car has Webers?

MegaSquirt rocks!
Last edited by diygti on Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diygti
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by diygti »

Here's how I mounted a my TPS to my neuspeed throttle body (same as an A2 golf TB). I found the TPS sitting in the engine compartment of an early 80's ford mustang at a junkyard. I'm not sure exactly what car/engine it came from. There is a notched piece of tubing welded (notice the partially melted plastic bushing under the return spring) to the end of the TB's throttle shaft which the TPS sits over. I wasn't able to get it completely centered so the TPS actally floats side to side on its mount (notice the locknuts) to compensate. Its worked well for about a year now.

diygti
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by diygti »

It was only a few seconds off the fastest cars at the Duel at DeAnza on May 15, 2005. The Duel is my favorite event of the year and the biggest autocross in California. I got a 52.73, and the fastest cars were in the 47-49 range- these are cars that came in on trailers. I ran a 24 on the plit, so it could have been a 48-49 if I hadnt screwed up on my last lap. The fastest time of the day was a 45.

I finally got the megasquirt efi to run an edis distributorless ignition, so I was able to dial in a nice advance curve before the event. It made quite a difference. Keep in mind that this engine is just an internally stock 1.8 JH code engine from an 1983 gti. with over 150,000 miles on it. Not much more is needed for a fast autocross rabbit. Its all in the suspension setup, tires, and quaiffe lsd. The'75 is also every light, so that helps. I haven't weighed it yet, though I'm sure its in the 1600-1700 lb range.

Image[/img]
diygti
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by diygti »

video here of the rabbit at the duel at deanza autocross:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_lkFukE0L4
oldschooleuro1
MegaSquirt Newbie

injectors

Post by oldschooleuro1 »

hey i really love your rabbit!
i was wondering if you would happen to know, if the volvo injectors that your are using would be able to fix into a 1989 1.8L 8v fox, because i was going to do a megasquirt in it and then turbo it. so if you could help me with anything like what MS system to use and all the parts and stuff, that would be great! thanks for your time

-marco