mustang 2.3L early dis

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Merkur, etc.
tkddemo4
MegaSquirt Newbie

mustang 2.3L early dis

Post by tkddemo4 »

this has been my project for about 3 months now.
i don’t know if this is a first, but i couldn’t find much information on how to get megasquirt to work with the early dis modules. http://www.autozone.com/images/products ... 138003.jpg

After 2 or 3 weeks I managed to get it to work.
Turns out it’s a mix between the ford tfi module and the edis module.
With the tfi mod on the board, and “standard coil charging” and some other settings it is correctly timing the engine.
I just got time to take it out of the garage (its first run on megasquirt, in the snow no less) and it already performed better than it ever had on the stock computer.
Since im only 17 and still in high school, I don’t yet have the money to put a turbo in it or rebuild the engine to handle one, but I plan to.

im looking for advice on these engines as well
tkddemo4
MegaSquirt Newbie

Re: mustang 2.3L early dis

Post by tkddemo4 »

i finally got the ford idle valve to start coming on,

does anyone got a graph for it with the percents at certain temps?
thanks
1984svomustang

Post by 1984svomustang »

Hi i've been trying to figure out what I have going on that is wrong with my setup? i am running a tfi module and megasquirt II. I can't seem to get spark to work out of it. What wiring diagram did you use for the TFI module and what settings did you have to change. I have done everything that megamanual has told me to do to get TFI to work but i just can't seem to make it work. Thanks much Garrett
tkddemo4
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by tkddemo4 »

are you getting a tach signal? i put a 1.5k resistor inline with the tach signal before it went to the megasquirt, for some reason megasquirt was pulling so much current it was preventing the module from firing the spark

if its not starting try that and also try starting it in fuel only mode and let the dis module run in limp mode.

Which code are you running, on the standerd MSII code v 2.8 something you set the spark out in to pin 4 on the dis module, (not 100% sure though) its the pin labled spout in the diagram that you can grab from autozone.com

make sure you have the board mod to support a coil.

i couldnt tell you exactly the settings i changed, but i do remember setting up megasquirt like it was running a standerd pip signal and a standerd coil.
I will look for my old setting file when i used the standard code. and get it to you once i find it.

Now if you are running the megasquirt extra code. (which is what im running now) i had to mod the code to let it start in fuel only mode and after a few seconds switch into full spark timing.
ridearea51
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by ridearea51 »

Hey i'm running the same setup as you and i was wondering if you could send me the map that your running or a map that you have had good luck with in the past thanks much. scherwinskig@uwstout.edu
thecrew2999
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by thecrew2999 »

i sent you a PM you know to make it easier you can post your MSQ file on the thread when you go down under the rply part to where it says upload attachment...

thanks
tkddemo4
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by tkddemo4 »

I uploaded 2 settings file
the one from June is my last version before i switched to the megasquirt extra code

the one from September is my current settings file and probably wont work on this setup w/o the modded code behind it.

I can upload the code as well but i cant really guarantee that it will work for all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thecrew2999
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by thecrew2999 »

tkddemo4 wrote:i finally got the ford idle valve to start coming on,

does anyone got a graph for it with the percents at certain temps?
thanks

you mentioned you got the IAC (idle control valve) but the settings shown it to be off in your tune?

i was wondering if you could give me some input on this?

i still cannot get my idle control to work i tried everything i used the 4001 diode in about 30 different ways now and it still refuses to work
tkddemo4
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by tkddemo4 »

youve got the ford idle valve and its special mod correct?

which settings file did you download??
I know for a fact the Extra code settings file has it working.
if you downloaded the 2.88 v maybe download the other one and write down the hz info and such then transfer it over?

With the other settings file i had tons of problems with the connections and the transistor mod, so it worked a little bit but the v2.88 settings file might have had it turned off so i didnt have to worry about it being spastic

When i put the extra code on it i went ahead and fixed up all the connection issues and put tons of hot glue on it to secure it,

i'll go back through all the old code variations and try to find one with it working, and post it here.

the only things i can think of for you to do is check the connections, test the transistor and use a multimeter and the scematics of the ms2 board to check all the resistors and continuity.
one of my main issues was the connection from the pin on the processor to the pin on the transistor

hope this helps a little
thecrew2999
MegaSquirt Newbie

Post by thecrew2999 »

i got the Fidle working when i use the stim the light comes on and goes off so it works...
maybe i need to give it a another go mess with a few more things...

now the 4001 diode goes on the positive side (banded end) the other end of the diode goes to the negative side of the 2 wire PWM IAC ?
you take the end of the negative wire and go to the megasquirt?

just want to make sure is all